Sunday, December 14, 2008

Take each day like it's your last


Hello and sorry for not blogging sooner, lots going on here.


My hero, the love of my life, my sweet Dad has been diagnosed with stage 4 cancer and has been given maybe a year, if chemo and radiation works, less if it does not.


He also has diabetes and this has caused problems with that and I now have to give him insulin shots. I spend most of my days getting him his medicine, food, shots, and getting him to his radiation treatments each day and Dr and lab appts.


My mom bless her heart is hanging in there and also doing all she can, I worry about her because she has high blood pressure and it's tough for her to watch her sweetheart get ill.


I am so glad I am here and able to help, financially I am screwed but ya know....to hell with it. I'd rather spend time with my Dad now that he needs me and I have faith that all will work out.


I watch my Dad each day reflecting on his life and wanting to do better with the time he has left, it kind of reminds me of that song "you should live like you were dying". He stops and talks to little children, he says hello to everyone he sees, he watches more sunrises and gives everyone hugs. I wonder and watch and think that I should be doing the same and not wait for the end to enjoy and make a difference in this world.


Some days I just want to keep my head in my pillow and cry and cry till it doesn't hurt any more but then I remember that it isn't about me, it's about making my Dad comfortable and making his every day a brighter day.


So family and friends, I love you all truly and whole heartily believe that. I want to give you all a big huge, I want to be there for you when you need someone, I'd take a pie in the face if it will put a smile on yours, if I had it all I'd give it all to you. Watch the sunrises in your life and listen to the old guys and play with the little guys.

5 comments:

Anita said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your Dad!! I love the message you've relayed though b/c its so true. Unfortunately we usually don't remember those things until something big happens to remind us to enjoy every minute. I love you and miss you LaRena! You are such of loving & nurturing person and thankfully you are there to help your Mom & Dad. Just don't forget about yourself too! You are a strong and beautiful person and I know God will bless you with all you need to get through this difficult time. Hang in there and I hope to see you soon to give you a great big squeeze in person, but in the meantime here's a big online hug from all of us {} Lots of love, Anita & the fam

kkalama said...

Oh Mom, that was beautiful and sad all at the same time. I can't wait to see you again in hopes that I will somehow be able to console your pain. This will be hard through and throuogh, but we will always have each other to lean on! I love you!

Maren said...

I am so sorry to hear that. He is lucky to have you to help take care of him. This time we have on this earth is so short so we need to enjoy as much as we can. I need to enjoy more of your family. I miss all of you.

Carly Nichols said...

You're such a wonderful and good daughter/person/mother and grandma too:) I miss being around you:) oh and also ...you're scary in the post below:)...great costume!

Ala & Kevin said...

Hey mama, I know this time is tough but you are the toughest of the tough. There hasn't been one thing you can't do. I know grandpa and grandma are truely thankful for your sacrifices. You are a great example to us all.Like you said, "let us all live like we are dying." Love ya mama.